Friday, September 18, 2009

a poem ...

General Store
by Rachel Field

Some day I'm going to have a store
With a tinkly bell hung over the door,
with real glass cases and counters wide
And drawers all spilly with things inside.
There'll be a little of everything:
Bolts of calico; balls of string;
Jars of peppermint; tins of tea;
Pots and kettles and crockery;
Seeds in packets; scissors bright;
Kegs of sugar, brown and white;
Sarsaparilla for picnic lunches,
Bananas and rubber boots in bunches.
I'll fix the window and dust each shelf,
And take the money in all myself.
It will be my store and I will say:
" What can I do for you today?"


I found this poem in a early 1900 book of poetry- I feel like it was written just for me!
thanks for stopping by...

4 comments:

Gail said...

Oh Mel,
How cute is that? Rachel Field wrote "Hitty" the story of a doll, which is one of my all-time favorites as a child.
Betcha didn't know that about me!!!

Unknown said...

I love it! How sweet!

holly darling smith said...

What a delicious poem. It fits you and your store so well! :)

Unknown said...

Hi, You don't know me but I recently searched google to see if I could track down what, 34 years ago, we used to call the "Big Red Book" for my Mom. This poem you've typed here was my favorite from that beloved book of poems and is the only poem I remembered from the book that I hadn't found a copy of in looking occasionally for a number of years now. My question to you is, do you have the book? If so, might you tell me the name, publisher, etc. so I can try to find a copy? I would appreciate your help and thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Best,
Alissa