Friday, April 6, 2012

is there anything new out there?

I know...this is a weird title for a blog post...
but I just keep needing a "wow" moment...

Have any of you followed Mary Randolph Carter's life thru her books?
I swear...she wrote my favorite book of all time in the 1980's....
AMERICAN FAMILY STYLE
If you don't own it...or some of her many (I think 5!) Junk books, you should.
She is by far the coolest gal...
you can trace so many of the ideas that are out in magazines now to her...
she was "shabby" before ANYONE else...(that I know of!)
and just, well, amazing...

American Family Style might have been written over 30 years ago, but I still LOVE that book...

she showcased folk art, family art, blackboards in your home... herb gardens, topiaries and so much more...

she made shabby wonderful and collectible and ok to own peeling paint in your home...
she made it cool to be a junker!

I need a new thought...
a new idea...
something besides buckets and farm tools and urns and industrial...

something not to copy, but to inspire...

I need an "aha" moment when I have to say-
wow...now THAT is so cool!

Mary Randolph Carter?

Are you writing a new book any time soon???

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I LOVE her books and agree with everything you said. I figured if it was "legal" for someone like her to schlep around fleas and junk stores then it was surely acceptable for me!